Felicia Bassey-Akamune, MD,FAAP, DIM&PH
Milestone Medical Outreach is an independent, not-for-profit organization chartered by the State of Maryland in 2012 to provide FREE medical services to all qualified residents in third-world countries and communities.
To provide free access to quality health care, good medication, and opportunities to live a healthy life for individuals with low socioeconomic status in their respective countries.
Aims and Objectives: Our Advocacy
- Promote healthcare awareness and education to residents in the communities that we visit in the United States and Africa.
- Provide free consultations, medication, and surgeries to patients who require or need such services, but cannot afford to pay for the health care cost.
- Promote education and public awareness programs that teach different people in the community about diabetes, high blood pressure, and its related morbidities.
- Promote awareness and to teach women about the self-breast examination, family planning, and screening for cervical cancer in at-risk areas.
- Promotion of health care education and awareness in line with the millennium development goals outlined by the World Health Organization (WHO) in third-world countries.
- Since 2011, Milestone Medical Outreach program has provided health care services to over 1,500 patients in one State Nigeria. Again, in 2013, over 4,000 patients were served in Cross River State, Nigeria. In addition to the following community outcomes;
- Since October 2011, hundreds of patients in Nigeria have been provided with appropriate diagnosis and free treatment for various medical illnesses. Most patients were provided with hypertension medication for one year and individuals with diabetes were supplied with medication for 6 months.
- Patients with malaria, typhoid fever, and varying types of infections were treated and provided with medications for FREE.
- Free surgical procedures were provided to more than 100 patients in 2013 and 2015 in conjunction with the General Hospital in Calabar, Cross River State.
- In 2013 and 2015, CPR/First Aid training was provided FREE of charge to more than 200 healthcare workers in collaboration with the Anesthesia Department of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital in Cross River State.
- Since 2011, Milestone Medical Outreach has conducted several medical outreach programs in various communities in Africa in collaboration with other organizations, such as Zumanta, African Women Cancer Awareness Association (AWCAA), African Business Owners Forum USA, The Efik National Association USA Inc., and the Government of Cross River State, Nigeria.
- With the selfless efforts of over 30 volunteers, Milestone Medical Outreach was able to provide medical and healthcare services to various parts of Nigeria. Such communities are located in Federal Capital Territory (ABUJA), Lagos State, Ondo State, Plateau State, and Delta State. We have also supported medical missions to Liberia, Cameroon in West Africa, and Guyana in the West Indies.
To learn more about our organization and advocacy, call 301-408-1855.